The first mill in Yarmouth was built around 1700 by Thomas Baxter and Shubal
Gorham. That mill, a fulling mill, was also located in West Yarmouth near
today's Swan's Pond. A few years later, the team built this grist mill for
grinding corn, and for many years it was operated by Baxter's sons, Thomas
and Shubal. Baxter family members operated the mill for several
generations then sold to members of the Baker family, who operated the mill
As originally constructed, the mill
featured an outside waterwheel. Because the level of Mill Pond was low and
winter freezing caused much damage, the wheel was replaced with an interior
power turbine around 1860. The mill operated for almost 200 years until
about 1900, when electricity and commercial flour became readily available.
The mill was restored in the 1960s by Harold Castonguay and George Kelley
and given to the town of Yarmouth. It was the first site in Yarmouth to be
placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
HOURS & ADMISSION
Open seasonally – for a schedule please call the Yarmouth Historical
Commission at 508-398-2231 ext. 1292.
Take Route 28 to West Yarmouth. Mill is on the north side of the street,
near the Mill Hill Club.
copyright ©2001 - 2002, all rights reserved,
The Historical Society of Old Yarmouth, PO Box 11, Yarmouth Port, MA 02675